The Ecobee thermostat’s core mission revolves around intelligent HVAC system management, which translates into saving more energy and lowering your bills.
However, the effectiveness of this device may suffer if you have curious young kids at home, who are always playing with the thermostat, tweaking the settings and constantly changing the temperature throughout the day.
The solution here is to set up a PIN code to secure your Ecobee thermostat.
With this PIN code in place, only those who know the code will have the ability to make adjustments, ensuring your energy-saving efforts remain undisturbed.
How To Lock The Ecobee Thermostat?
Setting a PIN code on your Ecobee Thermostat is easy to do but I just want to tell you that you can only do it from the device, unlike the Nest Thermostat which you can lock from the Google app or the Nest app.
Here are the steps that you need to follow to lock your Ecobee Thermostat:
- Go to your thermostat.
- On the device’s screen tap the Hamburger menu at the bottom left corner.
- A menu will appear scroll down and select Settings.
- On the Settings menu tap on Access Control.
- Then Click on Enable Security Code.
- Enter in a four-digit passcode that you want to use with the thermostat in order to unlock it.
- Make sure that the PIN code is not easy to guess by children.
- Then tap Save in the bottom-right corner of the screen.
- After that choose which features will require a PIN (You can tap all to select all features).
- Temperature & Quick Changes.
- System & Settings.
- After selecting the features tap on the back arrow to go back to the main screen.
- Now the code is successfully enabled wait for the thermostat to go into standby mode before it will begin activating.
How To Remove The PIN Code & Unlock The Ecobee Thermostat?
If you see that the PIN code is no longer needed or if you want to sell the thermostat to someone else and want to remove the code and unlock the thermostat for the next user, you will need to follow these steps:
- Click on the hamburger menu on the Ecobee Thermostat.
- Scroll down and select Settings.
- Then tap on Access Control.
- After that choose “Enter the existing code”.
- Select Change Security Code and Delete the existing code.
- Then tap Save.
- Now your PIN code has been deleted.
What To Do If I Forgot The PIN Code?
If you forget your password, you might think of resetting your thermostat to get back in. But remember, when you reset it, you’ll lose all your settings, schedules and preferences along with the password.
So I don’t recommend resetting the Ecobee thermostat to have access again to the device, what I recommend instead is to disable the PIN code from the Ecobee website, you can follow the next instructions:
- Go to ecobee.com
- Sign in to your account.
- Go to the access control screen under settings.
- select “disable” to disable the PIN code.
- A new access code can then be enabled if desired.
Note: The Ecobee support team can release the code after confirming your account details (You can get in touch with this team on the same website).
The Ecobee Thermostat Lock feature is great for preventing your kids or guests from accessing your HVAC system, so we hope that the article was useful to you and you got what you wanted.
You can contact the Ecobee support team if you have further questions or you don’t know how to implement the steps above.
You can also check this blog post to get more tips and tricks on how to get the best from your Ecobee Thermostat.