GE smart bulbs and strips are manufactured by General Electric and have several advantages that make them one of the most famous lightings in the market for adding convenience, comfort and saving energy.
Features of these devices include remote control, color change, voice control, and the ability to schedule and automate it with other home appliances such as doorbells and cameras.
Some people who use GE lamps often claim that their bulbs or strips are unresponsive, which means the lights are not responding to their commands.
If you aspire to buy this product then let me tell you that this problem is not big and can occur with all brands and it is easy to fix.
And if you are one of those people who suffers from this problem Right now, let me tell you that I am going to provide you with the solution in the next sections of this article.
Ways to Fix GE light not responding.
There are many tips and tricks you can implement to fix unresponsive GE lights and I’m sure one of the following solutions will work for you, so keep reading.
Solution 1: Turn On The Switch.
If you are using the GE lamp with a traditional wall switch, you need to make sure the switch is on so you can control the lamp remotely from the app or voice assistant.
If the wall switch is turned off, the power will not reach the lamp, so the bulbs will not be able to connect to Wifi and will not respond accordingly.
So try to turn on your traditional light switches and see if the GE light is responding to your commands.
Solution 2: Power Cycle The Light.
I have always recommended this process with electronic devices when they’re facing technical issues and I highly recommend it with the GE lights when they’re not responding.
All you have to do is unplug the bulb from the socket, wait a few seconds (30-60), then plug it back in and see if it works again. You can do the same thing with the light strip.
If this solution didn’t work for you, move on to the next one.
Solution 3: Fix Your Wifi Network.
The GE Smart light connects directly to your home Wi-Fi network without the need for a hub. So when you notice that the light is not responding, the problem may be with your Wi-Fi network.
here are some Wifi troubleshooting steps that you can do to fix your Wifi network and reconnect your lights:
- Reboot your router.
- Select the right frequency (2.4 GHz) and reduce interference.
- Update the router’s firmware.
- Boost Wifi signals with an extender.
- Reset the router.
- Make sure that your lights & your app are connected.
Solution 4: Fix The Bluetooth.
GE lights can also use Bluetooth instead of Wifi to connect and if you are using this solution to connect, let me tell you that the Bluetooth network can also be the root cause of your problem.
You can implement the next solutions to fix your Bluetooth network:
- Stay in the Bluetooth range when controlling the lights (10 meters or 30 feet).
- Make sure the Bluetooth is enabled on the device from where you’re controlling the light (Phone or tablet).
- Eliminate the causes of interference.
- Reboot your smartphone or tablet.
Solution 5: Update The Firmware.
The firmware has an important role in managing the GE light, it’s a software that provides basic machine instructions that allow the hardware to function and communicate with other software running on a device.
The manufacturer is always updating this firmware to fix bugs discovered in the previous updates and make sure that the GE light is running smoothly and without any issues.
So when your lights are not updated then various problems can occur as a result and one of those issues is the unresponsive problem.
Here are the steps to follow to update your firmware:
- Go to Settings.
- Select Firmware Updates
- Select Update All at the bottom of the screen.
- Your devices will begin to update to the newest firmware.
Solution 6: Update The App.
The app is also an important part because it’s the place where you can control lights, create schedules, change colors and more. So updating the app is essential to keep your device running without any issues.
Here’s how to update the Kasa app on Android:
- Go to The Google Play store.
- Then Tap the profile icon at the top right.
- Click on Manage apps & device.
- Under “Updates available”, tap “See details”.
- Then tap on update next to the Cync app.
Follow these steps to update the Kasa app on IOS:
- Open the App Store.
- Then Tap your profile icon at the top of the screen.
- Scroll to see pending updates and release notes.
- Tap Update next to the Cync app.
Solution 7: Reset The GE Light.
The last solution in our article if all the previous ones haven’t solved the problem and your GE Smart light is still not responding to your commands is to completely reset the light and give it a fresh start.
A factory reset is a great way to fix your problem, but the negative part of this process is that all of your settings, schedules and preferences are gonna be deleted.
Here’s how to reset the GE light:
- Start with the light switched off for at least five seconds.
- Turn the light on for eight seconds.
- Turn the light off for two seconds.
- Repeat this process five more times.
- The bulb will flash three times if the reset has been successful.
Finally, I hope the solutions listed in this article were helpful to you and one of them solved your problem, you can always contact GE technical support for more help.
- 6 Ways To Fix Eufy Doorbell Not Working With Google Home. - May 23, 2023
- How To Fix Arlo Doorbell Charging Issues? - May 21, 2023
- Arlo Doorbell Stops Recording? – Here’s How To Fix It. - May 4, 2023