Govee bulbs and light strips benefit from many smart features such as remote control, brightness adjustment, color-changing capability, the ability to create timers and scenes, and integration with other connected home devices.
One of the biggest advantages that Govee lights provide is the compatibility with Alexa, Govee can be controlled via Alexa mobile app and all Alexa-enabled gadgets such as Echo Dot, Echo Show, Echo Spot, Fire tablet, and more.
When you integrate these lights with Alexa you will be able to control them via voice commands which is great if you are not comfortable using the Govee Home app, you can also manage the lights via the Alexa app and create routines and scenes with other smart home gadgets like your door lock, doorbell, sensors and more.
Connect Govee lights to Alexa.
Now let’s see the steps that you need to implement in order to pair your lights with Alexa, but before that make sure that your Govee bulbs or strips are connected to the Govee Home app successfully and the Echo speaker & display are already set up in case you want to control the lights from those gadgets.
Here are the instructions that you need to follow to connect Govee with Alexa:
- Open the Alexa app on your smartphone or tablet.
- Tap the hamburger menu at the top left corner of the screen.
- Select Skills & Games, then search for “Govee Home”.
- Click on Enable To Use and connect to your Govee account using your credentials.
- A screen will appear telling you that your account has been successfully linked.
- Click Add device and choose other. then click Discover Devices on the new page or say “Alexa, discover devices”.
- Now go to Device to take control of your Govee lights that were discovered by Alexa.
After that go give each of your lights an easy to pronounce and hear name to make it easier for Alexa to identify, I don’t recommend changing the name of your lights from the Govee app as you will have to identify the device again to update the name.
Here’s how to change the name from Alexa app:
- Launch the Alexa app on your smartphone or tablet.
- Tap on Devices at the bottom right of the screen.
- Select LIGHTS on the top of the screen.
- Then select the Govee light you want to edit.
- Tap the gear icon at the top right corner of the screen.
- Tap Edit Name and rename your light.
Deactivate “Do not disturb mode” on Alexa app.
If you want to receive the notifications sent from your Govee lights via Alexa voice assistant you have to deactivate Do not disturb mode on the Alexa app.
Follow these instructions to deactivate this mode:
- Open the Alexa app on your phone.
- Go to Devices, then choose “Echo & Alexa”.
- Select your device.
- Then tap on “Do Not Disturb”.
- Turn Do Not Disturb off.
Alexa voice commands to use with your Govee lights.
Of course, controlling your lights via Alexa voice assistant requires you to memorize some voice commands and use them based on what you need to do. Here are some examples of the commands you need to control Govee lights:
- “Alexa, set Bedroom bulb to 60%”.
- “Alexa, turn on/off Living room lights”.
- “Alexa, dim/brighten Kitchen bulb”.
- “Alexa, increase/decrease desk lamp”.
- “Alexa, set the bath lamp to green”.
How to delete your Govee lights from Alexa?
It’s possible to delete your lights from the Alexa app in case you find that the voice control option is not suitable for you or you’re switching to another voice assistant.
So here are the steps to follow in order to delete your Govee lights from the Alexa app:
- Launch the Alexa app on your mobile or tablet.
- Tap Devices at the bottom right of the screen.
- Now tap on LIGHTS.
- Select the Govee light you want to unlink.
- Click on the Setting icon at the top right of the screen.
- Then tap on the delete icon at the top right side of the screen.
- A popup message will appear to confirm, tap on Delete.
- Now your Govee light is deleted.
Govee provides lights that offer so many features at a reasonable price and pairing them with Alexa will add a lot of convenience and comfort to your smart home and make them easier to control.