Without a doubt, the August lock is one of the most popular door locks on the market. This device is easy to install and can act as a security guard on your door, it alerts you whenever someone opens or closes the door and gives you the option to lock & unlock the door remotely, it also allows you to grant access to services like your plumbers or electrician, and many more features.
Users have reported that this gadget sometimes makes an unpleasant series of beeps that bothers them and they don’t understand why the device is behaving this way or how to fix it.
Our role in this blog post is to show you what to do in order to resolve this issue and get your lock to its normal state without relying on a professional.
Reboot the Lock.
Rebooting the gadget must be your first troubleshooting tip before trying any modification or change in the lock or the app, this process will help the device fix issues such as constant beeping, here’s how to reboot the August lock:
- Remove one battery from the device.
- Wait for 30 seconds.
- Place the battery again.
If rebooting your device didn’t fix the beeping problem go to the next solution.
Replace the batteries.
The August lock runs on batteries and they always send you notifications on their status, once the device batteries reach 25% capacity, a low-battery alert appears on your smartphone’s unlock screen.
So if you don’t replace the batteries when needed the device will lose its high performance and issues will occur such as constant beeping, so make sure to change the batteries before it is completely dead.
- Wi-Fi Smart Lock – 2 3V CR123 or CR123A lithium (non-rechargeable) batteries.
- All other August Smart Locks – 4 new AA alkaline (non-rechargeable) batteries.
This issue is known as the error of communication between the user’s phone and the door lock and it can be the cause of beeping problems, you can solve it by following the next steps:
- Remove the user who is receiving the morse code sound.
- Operate the lock 2 to 3 times using the August App.
- Re-invite the removed user back to the device.
- Then ask them to access the lock 2 to 3 times using the August App.
Important: If a bad handshake is the root issue the morse code sound will only be heard for a specific user.
Recalibrate your August lock.
The August smart lock need to be calibrated properly during installation and calibration issues may lead the lock to make an unpleasant series of beeps which may bother the user.
So you need to recalibrate the August lock to resolve your issue, but before implementing the recalibration steps open the gadget faceplate and remove and reinsert one battery.
Then follow these steps to recalibrate your device:
- Ensure that you’re within the Bluetooth range of your lock.
- Launch the August App on your phone.
- Go to the lock you wish to repair.
- Tap on Lock Settings.
- Scroll down and choose Calibrate Lock.
- Follow in-app instructions to recalibrate.
Incorrect PIN code.
“Emergency codes”, “Personal Entry code only”, “App access code” are codes that contain between 4 and 6 digits, they can be used to give access to guests so they can enter your house by putting this entry code on the August app or on the smart Keypad.
If you notice that the Keypad beeps once after the code is entered that means the code wasn’t typed correctly, try to type it again and make sure it’s between 4 and 6 digits.
And if the keypad beeps twice after the PIN code is entered that means the Keypad is not communicating with the lock, here you can reset the Keypad to solve the issue, and here’s how to do it:
- Launch the August App and go to Keypad Settings.
- Choose the option to Disconnect the Keypad.
- You will be sent a 4-digit code to physically reset the keypad.
- Put this code into the Keypad to reset it.
The August lock keeps jamming.
This is another cause of constant beeps on your device and it’s caused by many issues like debris, gears are not functioning correctly, your deadbolt is preventing the smart lock from locking, if this issue is the root cause of your problem you can solve it by following these instructions:
- Open the wing latches and remove the lock from the mounting plate on the door.
- With the wing latches open, hold the front of the lock in one hand and rest the wing latches on the back of the lock against the thumb and pinky finger of your other hand.
- Orient the thumb latch to the unlocked position – with the thumb latch vertical.
- Apply some pressure to turn your lock in the opposite direction that it usually turns. The motor will whine if this is done properly. Repeat 1 to 2 times
- Finish with the lock in the original 12 o’clock orientation.
Reset the August lock.
The last solution in this article is to reset your lock to its factory settings, this troubleshooting tips may fix bugs in the device firmware that may lead the lock to beep issues.
Note: All your settings and preferences within the device will be erased after a factory reset.
Here’s how to reset your lock:
- Ensure that you’re within the Bluetooth range of the gadget.
- Go to the August App and go to the lock circle screen, which is the screen that shows you whether your door is locked or unlocked.
- Tap on the gear icon.
- Choose the device you want to reset.
- Scroll to factory reset.
- Then select “Reset Lock”.
This article contains all the tips and tricks that you can implement every time the August door lock is beeping, I believe I helped you solve your problem, and if you have additional questions related to August, you can check out the other articles on our website.